My Favorite Things
My Favorite Things
Recorded in Stern Auditorium / Perelman Stage at Carnegie Hall
On Friday, October 9, 2015, The New York Pops debuted a brand-new program in Stern Auditorium / Perelman Stage at Carnegie Hall titled “My Favorite Things”. The sold-out concert featured selections from all 11 collaborations by composer Richard Rodgers and lyricist Oscar Hammerstein II. Joining Music Director/Conductor Steven Reineke onstage were Sierra Boggess, Julian Ovenden, and Judith Clurman’s Essential Voices USA.
July 2020 marks the 125th anniversary of Hammerstein’s birth. We’re delighted to commemorate this milestone by sharing the full audio archival recording from our 2015 performance with all of you.
Click on the play button arrow below to listen. For an optimal experience, we recommend listening on a laptop or desktop computer.
This concert audio recording was originally created for archival purposes. It is being shared with permission from Carnegie Hall and the American Federation of Musicians. The concert recording will be available online until Friday, October 30, 2020. The podcast recordings will remain online beyond Friday, October 30, 2020.
My Favorite Things: The Podcast
To keep the music playing, we’ve created a brand-new podcast in partnership with our friends at The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization. Host Ted Chapin (President and Chief Creative Officer, The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization) chats with concert performers Sierra Boggess and Julian Ovenden, exploring the musicals you’ll hear featured in the “My Favorite Things” audio stream. Below you'll find:
- Episode 1 – Explore Rodgers & Hammerstein’s first collaboration: Oklahoma! (1941). Listen to the conversation, and then replay Tracks 2 and 4 in the “My Favorite Things” audio stream to hear the songwriters’ work in action.
- Episode 2 – Take a spin through the Broadway classic Carousel (1945). Listen to the conversation, and then replay Tracks 6, 7, and 8 in the “My Favorite Things” audio stream to hear the songwriters’ work in action.
- Episode 3 – Dive into the Pulitzer Prize-winning musical South Pacific (1949). Listen to the conversation, and then replay Tracks 14, 15, 16, and 18 in the “My Favorite Things” audio stream to hear the songwriters’ work in action.
Join us every Tuesday for a new episode exploring the work of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II!
Contributions from the New York Pops community helped make this project possible. You can support projects like this and #KeepTheMusicPlaying by making a gift today.
- Full program setlist with information about each selection
- Steven Reineke's original program notes
- PopsEd worksheets to help our youngest patrons learn more about Rodgers and Hammerstein and the orchestra
Header photo by Richard Termine.